Friday, October 19, 2007

Breast Cancer Awareness

I have been busy in another arena for the last week and a half. Like many guys I never quite got it when it came to breast cancer. I lost a very good friend about 20 years ago to breast cancer but didn't understand the issue. It took another wonderful friend, who is recovering now to make me pay attention. I called her to see how she was doing and then she told me what she was going through. We have lunch together every other week and it has opened my eyes.

That's why I wanted to share this with you now. My friend shared with me that she had not been doing her monthly self breast exam and therefore wasn't diagnosed as soon as she could have. A regular self exam would probably have meant she wouldn't be going into her second round of treatments now.

What can we do to help? Lots! You can support cancer research and treatment by participating in walks and runs sponsered by your local Susan G. Komen group and the Pink Ribbon groups, and /or make donations. On the personal side you can ask women if they are doing their monthly exam. I called my sister and other loved ones, and after they got over the shock that I asked such a question, answered me and I was surprised that so many weren't. It's a love thing. Ask. Share your concern for them. They appreciated it. Only about 14% of all women do their breast self-exam. Thats not good enough, and half of those don't do it right.

Here is a website that shows you how to do it right:
http://www.y-me.org/information/concerned_about_breast_cancer/earlier_detection_methods/perform_BSE.php
Copy and paste it in that box thing at the top of your internet page. It will take you there.

My wife recently got information about a new device that aids in doing a self breast exam, making it easier to do it correctly and helping you to find lumps easier and sooner. Its called 'The Breast Self-Examination Kit'. So, what am I doing? First I made a large donation to the local branch of the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Then I participated in their walk. And, I have put the self exam kits in my bridal store to make them available to everyone. Why do I want that word bold? Because, men, you want to protect your loved ones. A portion of the profit made by the supplier is donated to their local cancer charities, and I am doing the same in St. Petersburg. Fla.

What are you doing?

Thanks for listening,
Bob

No comments: